Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sweet Corn Cakes {made with Jiffy Cornbread Mix}

Sweet Corn Cakes {made with Jiffy Cornbread Mix} 

A long time ago, I found a sweet {no pun intended} discovery at the grocery store: Chi Chi's sweet corn cake mix.  It was heavenly.  I would whip up these extra moist, sweet corn cakes to serve along side any Mexican dish I was making.  I don't know if they were only offered regionally in the Midwest, or if they just don't sell the Chi Chi's corn cake mix anymore, but when we moved to Texas I was no longer able to find it at the store - boo hoo!  Well, I like things quick and easy and there are a lot of recipes online for these sweet corn cakes, but I haven't found any that I liked that uses Jiffy's Cornbread mix.  A lot of the ones I found online called for at least 1 egg and that made it too cornbready for me and not enough super-moist-cake-goodnessy for me.  So, I took out the egg and after a few attempts this is what I have come up with, I finally have my sweet, extra-moist corn cakes again!  Here it is below...to you, from KC...

Ingredients

  • 8 oz. box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
  • 14.75 oz. can of sweet creamed corn
  • 3/4 cup sweet golden corn kernels
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup salted butter (melted)
  • 2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in microwave. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl by hand until well mixed. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners, fill liners to top with corn cake mixture. Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving. Cakes will be extremely moist and will crumble easily...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment